Follow

Hey, thinking ahead about things I should look out for that in your experience people living alone in your experience will struggle with when it comes to being online and doing things.

Find Care & Housing
The constant change in technology. I'm hoping blockchain and AI will make our sunset digital years easier and somehow more protected.
(0)

We got to remember that back when we were kids our parents said "do not talk to strangers", well the same implies today with emails, texts, and unknown Caller ID's.
(2)

Yup CW , these scammers are discussting even the most educated person on a weak moment can get scammed.
(0)

A lot of times we can roll our eyes at some of the very obvious scams out there and wonder how anyone can fall for that stuff, but many of them are pretty darn clever. Lately I've been getting texts or emails about government benefits payments on or about the day they are due that at first glance look pretty legitimate. I've read about a person getting a job offer from a company they had actually applied to asking for their personal information but it was a scammer. And I mentioned before about a telephone scammer wheedling information from a family member and immediately contacting a different family member and using what they'd learned to sound legitimate, that one almost worked.
(0)

Anxietynacy, alright :)
(1)

Freqflyer, I'm holding out for Mathew McCaughey! 🤗
(1)

Anxietynacy, on Facebook, I am getting friends requests from a lot of well known people, and I have to laugh at that. Just today, got two friend requests from Johnny Depp. Ok, if he is in the neighborhood and I need my hair cut, maybe yes... lol. (Edward Scissorhands)
(1)

Id say most importantly is scammers. You may be looking more for technology answer.but scammers are horrible. So I would just keep up to date on the new ways people are trying to scam people, because they change with the times.

I had Keanu Reeves, and Julie Roberts, try to friend me on Instagram. Like seriously 😒! But lonely people with a broken mind really do fall for this, and this scammers can get away with an elders life savings.
(2)

Maxtheman25123, don't forget as we age so does our eyes and fingers. My Dad use to write "code" for software back in the dark ages. One would think he could deal with modern technology. No, modern technology was moving faster than he could learn.

Eventually Dad's eyesight made it difficult for him to use his computer. So he turned it off forever. But he was able to rely on old fashioned communication to do what he needed (something the current generation seems clueless about, like how to hand write a letter).

When I was helping out my parents, bills coming to the house via U.S. mail was easy. It was those bills that my Dad had set up on-line to be paid automatically that was difficult. Dad could no longer remember what they were. And I couldn't get into Dad's computer because he no longer remembered passwords. His email would have been helpful if only I could get in... (sigh).

For myself, I have a 3-ring binder with account information and how those accounts are being paid. List of passwords to get into those accounts. That reminds me, I need to update that list.

Oh, I ditched my cellphone as I needed a magnifying glass to read, even though I had the font to the largest setting. Glad I kept my landline, what freedom not being tied to that annoying beeping device :)
(1)

My MIL is still in the 80’s too . But at some point it will be impossible to function that way . We are being forced in the direction of paperless. I’ve already encountered times where having something mailed to the house was not an option . They would only send to an email . They don’t want to pay for paper , envelopes or postage.
(1)

I think you can use parental controls on laptops and desktops too.

I am a boomer, and I will tell you that if we lost the ability to use computers, we would survive. Because, we did it all manually. I will admit that when I no longer had to type thru 5 pages it was great. Calling the invoice up on the computer, making changes and printing the invoice off was great. But it now can be a little daunting. Apps are great but I need a book to keep all my passwords in. Now I am being told my password is not good enough and must change it before I can continue. Then its ages before they finally think my password is good enough. And all I wanted to do is check on one little thing. My DH us stillbin the 80s writing checks and mailing them out.
(1)

I will struggle too when disconnects happen , luckily I have a daughter in law who is an IT wiz and is able to guide us by phone ( FaceTime ). Or my kids . But DIL is the best of the 3 . DH is better than me but even he has called DIL at times setting up a new device .
(0)

The "ok boomer" remark is rude and unnecessary Zippy. There are a whole bunch of rude and unnecessary remarks that can be used for ALL age groups, so why is the "boomer" group so funny and easily picked on? Sp has a point......God knows we've read enough posts here about elders losing tens of thousands of $$$$ online.
(2)

If I am widowed I am going to STRUGGLE for certain. I am great as long as everything stays connected but when things go badly South I need HELP. I hear that now, in ALFs there are often internet and tech "concierges" and I must tell you that for ME that would be a GREAT perk and on I would take very seriously. Even hooking up a "smart TV" makes me personally feel exceptionally DUMB. My partner used to be VERY tech savvy, but it is now passing him by as well. Being in your 80s, as we are, and dependent on tech for even our Hospital/insurance portals, demands that we stay tech savvy. Geaton is correct about that. And I recently did subcumb to the necessity of a smart phone and find it easier than my old push-button jitterbug. We have to do what we can. In San Francisco I do have access to programs even at our library, and am thankful, but you have hit on, YES, a BIG concern.

I think your question more appropriately belongs in discussions. I hope it gets moved there as it will have a longer life in that area.

And if you are discussing elders who have any dementia impairment I would say that their world of tech is rapidly disappearing no matter WHAT is done. That won't be true for coming generations behind my own; but for my own it is. My daughter, hubby, now 62-70 are MUCH more adapted and adept.
(2)

If you’re worried about an elderly who is having cognitive issues , how about a tablet that you can put parental controls on .

And make sure you know the password, my FIL used to forget. My FIL only read the news and played solitaire.
(1)

If sp was born in 1969 she’s Gen X

The horses is funny though . 😂
(1)

Ok boomer.

Let’s not use electricity or indoor plumbing either. How about we burn wood for heat and not use the ac either. No cars, only horses from here on out.

Actually, forget the horses. I’m sure “life was much easier” before we had domesticated animals.

Trying to deny the world we live in is pointless at best, and harmful at worst.
(1)

Don’t give out personal info is the main one. Don’t send money to anyone. Only shop from reputable retailers. Don’t make “friends” with people you will never meet in person.

Really the main thing to worry about is person to person communication and social media. Going to regular websites and using things like YouTube is perfectly safe.
(1)

Pretend you are living 20 years ago and don't deal with the internet. Makes your life much easier.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter